TSCC Club Introduction Training Day
New members wanting to go on club trips are required to attend an introduction day first.
The aim of the Club Introduction Training Day is to introduce new members to the clubs philosophy and operating procedures, basic safety concepts, gear, basic strokes, wet exits and rescues.
By the end of the day, members should be well on the way to being able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic sea kayaking safety & paddler responsibility
- Be aware of capabilities of sea kayaks
- Demonstrate safe entry and exit, launch and land on easy sandy beach or riverbank
- Paddle efficiently into, across and down wind
- Perform turns, emergency stops, rafting up and dispersing in a controlled manner
- Perform support and bracing strokes
- Confidently capsize and perform rescues as both rescuer and patient
You will need to obtain a suitable kayak and be dressed for immersion (ie. capsizing and getting back into the boat) for the day’s activities. Please discuss what you have and will need to have when you ring.
Details of who to contact are in the club welcome email when you join, of feel free to contact us if you have more general questions before hand.